Friday 16 January 2009

Daves Friday Post
This is the Friday entry for my blog, only one picture to upload at the moment, and that is of my Scrooge McDuck statue that came with the apartment. I generally tend to disagree with Disney memorabilia, but I like this piece. First off, its roughly two feet tall, which would most likely be life size for the weathly duck. Secondly, scrooge is looking cool with his top hat and dollar bill sign bag of money.


The HR manager emailed me this immigration form from the Dutch government that was seriously 12 pages long. In it, I had to answer all your standard questions on who I was, where I am from, where I am going, ect., I hope they don't reject my visa, it did specifically say "don't start working in the Netherlands before your work visa is approved." Also something about if I don't follow that rule, it will count negatively during the review process.


Later today, I have my second driving lesson. I took my first on Tuesday this week. I am going to be in the Netherlands for more than 180 days, so getting a Dutch drivers license is required. Driving isn’t very hard here; there are some things that are different, including:

-No turning on red

-highway etiquette

-no cell phones while driving (I like this one)

-Watch out for the 1 million people on bikes, they are everywhere, they always have the right of way, and they don’t have to signal turns


Mentioning bikes, I am still shocked by how many bikes there are, and how stupid I look when I am walking down the road. The only other people I have seen using the sidewalk and not riding a bike were old people that were too old to ride a bike. I might have to go bike shopping this weekend, which could be fun, Breda has like 25 bike stores within the city limits, so I am sure I could pick up a decent bike for under 200 Euro. I don’t want to spend any more than that; bike theft is a national pastime here. I guess if you buy the best, most secure lock on the market, the bike thieves single your bike out to rob, just because they like the challenge. That is why I am planning on securing my bike with a piece of twine.

Ok, I will get some good pictures of Downtown Breda over the weekend, there are some cool places I can put up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment